Aug 28, 2020

2020-21 Winter Season Update: August 28, 2020

*UPDATE: Due to an unexpected delay, Lesson Programs will not re-launch until Wednesday, September 9, 2020
This past February, Brimacombe launched the sales of 2020-21 Memberships, Season Passes and Multi-Week Lesson Programs. Since that time, a lot has changed. Our team has been closely monitoring and working with Public Health Authorities, Government Agencies, as well as the Ontario Ski Resorts Association and industry partners on the constantly changing situation surrounding COVID-19. Using the latest information available to us, we are developing and updating our policies and procedures to reflect the current situation and are proactively planning for a variety of scenarios we may face this winter.
As we update some of our Terms & Conditions to reflect the impending changes COVID-19 may bring this winter, all pass and lesson sales will be temporarily suspended until Friday, September 4, 2020. Our updated Terms & Conditions will include more information to answer some of the questions you may have about refunds surrounding COVID-19.
Those who have already purchased will receive an email at the beginning of September with a copy of our updated Terms & Conditions, as well as next steps.
We know that many of you have been eager to purchase your Memberships/Season Passes and Lessons for this winter, but understandably had many questions and we truly appreciate the patience and understanding you have shown while we try to navigate these unprecedented times.
To accommodate these changes, we have also decided to extend our Super Early Bird Deadline from September 13, 2020 to October 4, 2020. Our Early Bird Deadline will remain at November 15, 2020 with In-Season rates in effect as of November 16, 2020.
To those who have already purchased our summer camp programs, merchandise through our online Tuck Shop and to those who have already committed to us for this winter season, we thank you. As a not-for-profit organization, every dollar spent at Brimacombe is invested back into the facility and helps directly support our operations during these uncertain times. We couldn’t do what we do without you!
While there are still many unknowns for the winter season ahead, we want you to know that Brimacombe is still getting ready for opening day, just as we usually do and we can’t wait to make memories with you and your family this winter on the slopes of Brimacombe!